Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Cultures and FOOD!



 


     Hey Everyone! How's the first week of college been? Mine has been super busy, and it doesn't help that I have a bit of a cough. But hey, otherwise, things have been great! I couldn't wait to tell you all about my experience this last week. I went to an ethnic festival, and it was a blast. You see, I love different cultures, and a party that brings a ton of cultures together for a weekend is so much fun. 

     Why is it so much fun, you ask. Let me tell you about my excursion. I went to the festival with my neighbors (who are from India!). We first paused by a vast pavilion, where a few girls were performing an Indian dance. What elaborate footwork! (If you don't believe me, look it up on Youtube)We then began to stroll around the grassy field where several tents were posted. Each tent represented a different country, and each one had facts, food, and items from their country. You can imagine how much fun this was. The closest example I can think of to compare this to is a shopping bazaar. The Mexico tent had woven patterns and sunset colors. The skulls below, with their artistic colors and flowers were from the Mexico tent.


     The Japan tent had Asian coins; the Ukraine tent had tiny, handcrafted eggshells; the India tent had gleaming sequins and bangles. The shopping isn't the only interesting part of the ethnic festival. The beautiful languages and unique outfits are amazing to hear and see. The ethnic festival had a parade of all the different cultures, and it was fun to see the people proudly representing their country.


     Now, I just thought this was pretty. :) The Laos tent had buckets of delicate young flowers that were so lovely.



     Finally, as if all of that weren't enough, there was the food! Every tent had something to sample. My friend chilled on some Hawaiian shaved ice. 


     I went for a Middle East mango shake. It was so fruity and sweet! Perfect for that hot day. I also tried some Greek baklava, but unfortunately, I devoured it before I could snap it. I guess you'll have to imagine it, or go out and get some. :)


.     In the end, ethnic festivals and events like this aren't just for the food and shopping. The cultural experience is what makes days like these so memorable (wow, talk about cheesy, but it's true!). So, there's no excuse for you to not go out and try something fun like this, too! Even if you say there aren't any ethnic festivals in your neighborhood, that doesn't have to stop you. Check out your local college, or read your town paper. There's normally events occurring like this. For example, our convention center will be having an Indian festival in the fall, and my community college will be having a Japanese festival soon. So, if you want to try something different from the normal mall or park, try a cultural festival. It will be worth it, and it's a great way to meet more of God's loved ones. Have fun! 

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs